My husband requests this cake every autumn. If November hits and I haven’t made it yet, he gets rather cross. It pairs excellently with coffee, tea, or other hot beverage. Therefore, I like to bring up a slice with me to the office while I write. When combined with a hot drink, it’s 95 percent guaranteed to yield a writing sprint of 2,000 words.
Butter-Rum-Glazed Applesauce Cake
Butter Rum Glaze Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter (do not use margarine)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon rum flavor3 to 4 teaspoons half-and-half or milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter over medium heat. Cook 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until butter just begins to brown. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in granulated sugar, applesauce and vanilla.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in applesauce mixture. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; cook about 3 minutes or until butter just begins to brown. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in remaining glaze ingredients until smooth and spreadable.
- Pour over warm cake. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm.
…and then finish your 2,000+ word plus writing spree. Be sure to save the document while your writing is warm. Don’t worry about the calories in the cake. All of the creative energy you used burned those calories right up.